Greg Hoffman


7/04/2008

 

Tampa Bay Rays, Sitting on Top of Major League Baseball

Today, July 4th, 2008, the Tampa Bay Rays have a 52-32 record, with a .619 percentage. The best record in MLB. We are three games in front of the Defending World Series Champions, the Boston Red Sox.

I'm on the bandwagon. I wear my TB blue cap all the time now. It has replaced all my other favorite hats. I've been a baseball fan my entire life, but I've never been a Rays fan until this year. The year they started winning.

I didn't like the team for several reasons. Number one, the stadium was built in the wrong city and in the wrong place. I can't wait until the team and the city leaders come up with a new stadium plan. But in my opinion, it should have been built in Tampa in 1988, when the city tore down Al Lopez Field. If Tampa built a stadium then, I believe we would have been awarded a National League Franchise in 1991, instead of Miami getting the Mullets. Probably the biggest problem the Rays have had since opening day in 1998 has been the team owners complete lack of commitment to fielding a winner. Until now.

Its not just the winning that changed my opinion. It was a game in June against the Chicago Cubs with my dad. The first time the Cubs have visited St. Pete. The Cubs have always been my favorite team. Between WGN and the fact that my grandfather played for a Cubs Minor League team after WWII, I was destined to follow them. Oddly enough, my grandfather became a Rays fan in his final years. He didn't hold grudges. He just loved the game. I finally get it. The Rays/Cubs series was pure baseball and I pulled for the home team. I've watched or listened to every game since then.

Go Rays!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought Carroll Hoffman played in Hammonds, Indiana...it was a White Sox organization.

2:06 PM  
Blogger Marketing Gorilla said...

That was before WWII. He didnt' have allegiance to the Sox later in life like he did for the Cubbies.

Who is this?

2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might want to revise this post before the Rays are in 2nd place. Should be any day now.

Go Sox!

3:23 PM  
Blogger Marketing Gorilla said...

I stand by my statement as I wrote it on July 4. Cant' change the past.
Even if they place dead last at the end of the 2008 season, I'm still a fan. They earned it this year.

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you cursed the Rays. How many games have they lost in a row since your post? 7 Games and counting!

9:31 AM  
Blogger Marketing Gorilla said...

I think it's because you are a dick.

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might think the Rays would have
Only a slim chance of winning, but
U would be surprised.

Are Yanks gaining on the Rays?
Red Sox? I do not think so! Early lead is still holding.

Got to give it up to these Guys.
Are they the real deal? Yes.
You better believe it Lagor!

1:57 PM  
Blogger Marketing Gorilla said...

Who's in the World Series??? Its October 25 and the Red Sox are playing golf...

Gotta love it.

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home