Greg Hoffman


5/25/2008

 

Bob Barr For President in 2008

In 1996, I was a political reporter for the Marietta Daily Journal. I covered two Georgia Congressman. One was former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich, the other was Bob Barr. Bob was the one who started Clinton's impeachment and was a key player in the Defense of Marriage Act in 1996 . He was a stark contrast to Newt and the newspaper publisher didn't like him very much. But I did.

Bob knew how to make waves and some of his speeches in Congress were classic. I didn't agree with some of his positions but I respected him for his passion and his personality. Bob and his wife Jeri invited me to their Smyrna home in late 96 and asked me a potentially life changing question. Bob sat on his kitchen counter and Jeri and I were sitting at the dining room table. Would I consider moving to D.C. and working as his Congressional Press Secretary? I declined because I didn't want to raise a family in D.C., and frankly, I was worried about job security. He was a little controversial...

So 11 1/2 years later, here we are. Bob is running for President as the Libertarian Candidate and I didn't have a candidate I liked until tonight. Last summer I was behind Fred Thompson. Last fall I was behind Ron Paul. I think I'm set now.

I'm voting for Bob Barr for President and I'm going to do as much as I can to help, whether its volunteering, attending Meetup's or promoting his candidacy on Facebook and Twitter.

May 25, 7:33 PM EDT

Libertarian Party picks Barr as presidential candidate

By STEVEN K. PAULSON
Associated Press Writer

DENVER (AP) -- The Libertarian Party on Sunday picked former Republican Rep. Bob Barr to be its presidential candidate after six rounds of balloting.

Barr beat research scientist Mary Ruwart, who also sought the party's presidential nomination unsuccessfully in 1983, on the final ballot. The vote was 324-276.

Barr endorsed Wayne Allyn Root, who was eliminated in the fifth round, to be his vice-presidential nominee.

Barr left the GOP in 2006 over what he called bloated spending and civil liberties intrusions by the Bush administration.

The former Georgia congressman said he's not in the race to be a spoiler.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home