Greg Hoffman


1/02/2008

 

Password Management for Affiliates


I'm starting my New Year's Resolution to post as many videos as possible. It would be nice if I could do it everyday, but I doubt that will happen. The point is to be consistent and have at least one a week. Wouldn't that be nice?

Here is the first installment. Password Management. I used to work for a security awareness company and learned how to secure passwords on your computer and how to build them.

To keep you passwords, create an excel spreadsheet with four columns. Ok - you computer security gurus, hold your horses, I know that's not the most secure thing in the world, but it's better than post it notes on their desks, isn't it? Ok, four columns:
Name - what program is it?
Dashboard - what is the url to login?
Login
password

You can hide the columns and even keep a fifth column open that has some silly stats. But the most important thing to do is to name the file something no one would care about - "Holiday Card List 1998". Or something simple that hackers would easily overlook.

Now, the second thing is to create an effective password. Look around your desk and find a word, any word. My web camera is made by Logitech. Here's how I would build a password on the fly. Log55ch - first three letters of Logitech with the L capitalized, then two numbers, followed by the last two letters of the word. It's easy to remember but hard to hack.

It's that simple. There are however, an infinite number of ways to store and manage your passwords, this is just a simple, easy way to do it.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh.. i personally use an excel spreadsheet to store my passwords, and I password protect that excel sheet..

Now I just have to make sure I don't forget the master password!

But you idea of renaming the file to something that hackers would overlook really makes sense.

All the best for your 2008 and making of videos!

11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home